- The Directory is used to collect and display web site links categorized by topic for browsing by users.
- To access
- Click the Directory icon
on the Admin Panel
|Number of columns per page when listing directory categories:||select the required number of columns per page (range 1-6):||3|
|Links per page||How many links should be displayed per page||20|
|Validate URLs||Should Tiki check the URL?|
|Enable cool sites:||Turn on the cool sites feature||enabled|
|Show Country Flag:||Turn on the Country Flag Display feature||enabled|
|Method to Open Directory Links:||Tiki 6.x selections are "new window", "replace existing window",and "inline frame"|
- The following content will eventually be migrated to the Directory section of the Tiki User and Admin Guides.
DirectoryThe Directory is used to collect and display web site links categorized by topic for browsing by users. It is similar to the DMOZ Open Directory Project (see Useful Links, below).
The user can browse through categories, making use of category and link descriptions, and navigate to increasingly specific subcategories. A search form can also be used to locate a link in the Directory.
Users can submit links to be added to the Directory. The submitted links can be subject to validation by admins or designated editors before they are added.
Any number of categories can be created and each can be indicated as related to one or more other categories. Tiki tracks the addition of new links and the number of visits to each link, as well as the number of searches made. Users can also view "new sites" and "cool sites" (most-visited sites).
Directory information can also be displayed as modules in Tiki's side columns or wiki pages, and new Directory links can be reported in Tiki's Calendar.
Feature OverviewTikiWiki's Directory feature enables:
- Organization of Web site links into categories
- Searches for links
- Submission by users of link suggestions for approval by admins
- Appointment of editors to moderate specific categories
- Caching of linked Web sites to avoid the problem of dead links or temporarily unavailable servers
- Display of top-ranked sites in terms of hits
- Display of most recently added sites
- Indication of top-ranked and recently added sites in a Tiki module
- Association of Directory categories with one another and/or with one or more global Tiki Categories
- Directory User How to use the Directory once it has been activated and configured.
- Directory Admin How to activate and configure the Directory, including determining its organization and page display, and setting appropriate permissions.
- Directory Details Details on Directory internals, including information on related files, permissions, database tables and CSS selectors.
- Directory TikiMovie: Flash movie on how to set up and use the Directory, click by click
Useful LinksThese are other examples of and information about Web directories.
- DMOZ Open Directory Project
- Wikipedia "Directory" entry