The User Preferences page is where the user can set his or her personal preferences for the site: user name, photo, time zone, theme, language, etc. The preference options at any particular Tiki site may differ from those described here, depending on which options the site administrators have activated. Also, these are personal settings and shouldn't be confused with the general site-wide Preferences that the site administrators configure.
Navigating to the User Preference page
If enabled from the admin menu, you will see a link to user MyAccount > Preferences in the application menu (if this menu is activated). This page, located at
tiki-user_preferences.php, is for registered users (users logged in at the site) where they can set a number of personal preferences about the site, and where they can see some statistics and links to pages, blogs or galleries, etc. they have created.
The user can change his or her email, visual theme, indicate his or her real name, homepage, and find a link to access a personal wiki page as well as a link to edit the page.
Personal Information tab
Under this tab, the following information can be viewed and edited:
- User (the user name at the site)
- Real name (There is a global option to use real names where possible throughout the site.)
- Profile picture (see below)
- Country (choose from a list)
- Location (see below)
- Homepage URL (Users with an external website can enter the information here.)
- Your personal wiki page (This page name is generated automatically; each user is the admin of this page.)
- User information (private or public)
User profile picture
The "Pick user profile picture" link ("My Account > Preferences (Personal Information tab) > Pick user profile picture", tiki-pick_avatar.php) enables the user to select an image to represent him or her at the site:
To set relevant settings globally (for all site users), the site administrator can configure, on the "User Settings" admin page, under the "User Info and Picture" tab, the following options:
- Use Gravatar for user profile pictures
- Store full-size copy of profile picture in file gallery
- Size of the small profile picture stored for users (defaults to 45 pixels)
- Crop the profile picture thumbnail to a square
- File gallery in which to store full-size profile picture
- File ID of default profile picture
The user's geographical location can be shown on a map; this uses the open source OpenLayers technology. To set the location, the link "Search location" will open a search form to enter the user's local address and generate the coordinates for the map location.
This screen can be used to set up different themes for users. Basically all the Preferences that can be set at the user level can be found in this screen.
Configuration options under this tab include:
- Is email public? (If email is public, select a scrambling method to prevent spam)
- Email character set (Special character set for your email application)
- Theme (if the site admin has enabled individual users to select a visual theme)
- Can you read more languages? (links to a form to select other languages; translations of pages, etc. may be available)
- Number of visited pages to remember
- Displayed time zone
- Detect user time zone if browser allows, otherwise site default
- Use 12-hour clock in time selectors
- Display info tooltip on mouseover for every user who allows his/her information to be public
- Messages per page
- Allow messages from other users Notify sender when reading his mail
- Message priority notification (Send me an email for messages with priority equal to or greater than 1 - 5, or none)
- Read message auto-archiving (Auto-archive read messages after selected number of days)
- User Tasks per page
My Account (feature items to include in reports of my activity)
- My pages
- My blogs
- My messages
- My tasks
- My forum topics
- My forum replies
- My user items
- My articles
- My level (simple or advanced) — to choose whether or not to see "advanced" links in menus, as designated by the menu author; could be useful in some contexts.
(About contextual remarks boxes, or alerts)
- Keep closed remarks boxes hidden
- Remember which remarks boxes (alert boxes) I have closed and don’t show them again.
- Reset remark boxes visibility
Account Information tab
This tab shows the user's email address, which can be edited here, along with inputs to change the account password by entering the new password, confirming the new password, and entering the current password.