In Tiki 7 we started to move from GoogleMaps (GMap) to OpenStreetMaps, respectively OpenLayers, which offers a GoogleMap layer. Latest since Tiki 13 we are using only OpenLayer (OpenStreetMap) and step b step remove(d) ll code from old MaServer and GMap.Tiki's OpenLayers page
Tiki has more than one map feature, Tiki map (with Mapserver) can handle a huge number (5000+) of objects, Gmap provides the convenience of having Google maintain your mapserver. This implementation uses v2 of the google map API, documented on http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/reference.html
The googlemap can
- provide a display of a map with a set location.
- store geolocations from user input
- show where all the site's users are on the map
- search and categorize geolocations.
- add geolocation and display a map as a Google Maps tracker field
- Mod GMap is available at mods.tiki.org, which adds functionality to use GMap to pair wiki pages with mapped locations.
- requires at least Tiki 1.9.4
- request a google key on http://www.google.com/apis/maps/signup.html
- enable google map in features admin panel tiki-admin.php?page=features
- add googlemap key to /tiki-admin.php?page=gmap (and only key) and save
- when key is added that page presents a map so you can setup default center and zoom level
- the link to googlemap locator is now added in user preferences page
- admin can setup and change location for any user from adminuser page
- add a link to /tiki-gmap_usermap.php in your navigation
- use PluginGoogleMap to insert googlemaps within wiki pages and to geocode specific wiki pages
- tiki-gmap_usermap.php and templates/tiki-gmap_usermap.tpl
- check http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8056461464933652343&q=dennis+daniels for some live experience