Designing or creating a navigation plan is an important part of the initial configuration of tikiwiki can be accomplished using any of several features:
- Menu - (within modules on the left or right side of the main content.
- Wiki Links, Bookmarks, PluginMaketoc and TOC tags within the content itself (these are the most "organic" means of navigation, which grows and changes with user contributions.
- Structures which organize wiki content (pages) into a booklike order or hierarchy.
- Categories - which can define sets of pages/content and can apply special permissions to them.
- Tags - adding tags to objects or using backlinks in wiki pages (see How to Tag on the Documentation Status page).
- breadcrumbs - which can show the trail of last visited pages.
- since_last_visit_new - a module which can showcase "whats new" in a site.
- In all case some sort of Naming conventions should be in effect for a site.