Tiki FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Tiki Community
- How can I enable Tiki logging and error reporting to help troubleshoot problems?
- What does "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of XXXXXX exhausted" message mean?
- My site shows blank pages. What can I do?
- How can I hire a Tiki Consultant?
- Why is Tiki showing weird characters (or other encoding issues)?
- How do I create a new wiki page?
- Why are all my words in CaMeL CaSe turning into wiki links?
- How do I turn off the wiki syntax processing?
- How do I enable the spell checker?
- How do I add an image to a wiki page?
- What is a "minor" edit?
- What is the maximum wiki page size?
- File Gallery
- Image Gallery
- Look and Feel
- Users and Groups
- RSS Feeds
What is Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware?Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware (Tiki) is a full-featured, web-based, multilingual (35+ languages), tightly integrated, all-in-one Wiki+CMS+Groupware, Free Source Software (GNU/LGPL), using PHP, MySQL, Zend Framework, jQuery and Smarty. Actively developed by a very large international community, Tiki can be used to create all kinds of Web applications, sites, portals, knowledge bases, intranets, and extranets. See About Tiki for more information.
Tiki is the Free and open-source software Web Application with the most built-in features
What is the current Tiki version?The current Tiki Stable version and LTS (Long Term Support) version are listed at https://tiki.org/Download
We follow a six-month release cycle, with minor updates and patches released as-needed. See RoadMap and Version lifecycle for details. To date, Tiki has had more than 50 releases. See All releases for details.
Where can I download Tiki?
You can download Tiki from https://tiki.org/Download . There is also a Download option in the menu bar of all *.tiki.org (collectively called t.o) sites.
All downloads are hosted by SourceForge.net. You can also download daily builds of the current development, pre-release version. See Download for details.
Is there a demo or test version available?Yes.
There are several Tiki demos available. See demo for details. You can also use TikiLive CD by downloading the .iso file to create a bootable CD with a full Tiki installation.
Is Tiki free?Tiki is free, open source software, licensed under LGPL. Read the license for full details. The project's philosophy is detailed in our Social Contract.
Does Tiki have these Features?- individual profiles that people can show or hide
- user-generated content e.g. a wiki
- collaborative/social groups
- revenue options
Generally yes, you can make Tiki behave like anything you need with help of the features included ;-). For a full list of features please check the Features page.
Who owns/runs/manages Tiki?
Tiki is a community-managed, open development project, with an official Tiki Software Community Association as the legal steward. See Who to Contact for a list of Tiki Admins.
How do I join the Tiki Community?Simply Register at the Tiki Community portal. This will give you access to all of the *.tiki.org site.
How do I become a Tiki developer?To become a Tiki developer with commit access to the Tiki repository, simply ask!
Developers are expected to abide by the 3Rules. See How to get commit access for more information.
How do I install Tiki?Please review the Requirements and Installation pages for details.
Is Tiki included in Fantastico, SimpleScripts, and other control panels (cPanel) scripts for shared web hosts?Yes. See 1-click installers
These scripts will perform a full Tiki installation, including database configuration. Contact your webhost to see which is supported.
Can I migrate an existing site (from a different CMS) to Tiki?Yes.
There are migration utilities available for many common CMS packages, including:
- and others.
How do I move my Tiki from one server to another?
- Use Tiki Check to make sure new server has the proper requirements.
- Create a backup of the existing site, including the MySQL database.
- Restore all files and the MySQL database on your new server.
Be sure that your new server meets all necessary requirements.
- Run the Tiki Installer and specify your new database connection/location information.
Alternatively, you can manually update the database connection information.
For detailed information on each Tiki feature, see Features. For more see Troubleshooting.
For help and support, please use the Forums and mailing lists.
How can I enable Tiki logging and error reporting to help troubleshoot problems?You can enable the Logging and Reporting options on the Admin: General page, General Preferences tab.
If you are unable to access your Tiki or log in as the admin, you can enable the logging and error reporting by using the Tiki Installer.
- Run the Tiki installer (tiki-install.php)
- Go directly to Step 7: Configure General Settings.
- Enable Logging and Reporting and click Continue.
- Enter your Tiki, as normal.
What does "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of XXXXXX exhausted" message mean?Tiki needs more memory. Increase the memory_limit setting in your php.ini file. See PHP requirements for more information.
My site shows blank pages. What can I do?Blank pages may be caused by several things:
- Tiki needs more memory. Increase the memory_limit setting in your php.ini file. See PHP requirements for more information.
- You may have included invalid Smarty or HTML syntax in a module, or custom code area.
How can I hire a Tiki Consultant?See Consultants for information on available Tiki consultants for hire.
Why is Tiki showing weird characters (or other encoding issues)?By default, Tiki uses utf-8 encoding.
- For new installations, verify that your database, tables, and connection collation is set properly.
- For upgrades, review the Upgrade - Fix Encoding Issues and Encode Fix Verification pages.
How do I create a new wiki page?There are several methods to create a new wiki page:
- Create a link from an existing page Tiki will automatically create the new (destination) page when you click the link.
- Create a new page by using the Quick Edit module.
Why are all my words in CaMeL CaSe turning into wiki links?You have enabled the WikiWords feature. This is a quick and easy way to create links (and create) other wiki pages.
To have a word in CaMeL CaSe not create a wiki link (even if the WikiWords feature is on), simply surround the word with two inverse parentheses.
For example: ))NotALink((
Even though the text ))NotALink(( is in CaMel CaSe, it is not a link.
How do I turn off the wiki syntax processing?By default, Tiki will always interpret WikiSynatx, such as === for underlining and '' for italic.
To turn off wiki syntax processing, use the ~ np ~ syntax. See WikiSyntax for details.
How do I enable the spell checker?To enable the spellchecker:
- Download the spelling database table and add it to your database.
- Enable the spell checking option on the Wiki Config page.
How do I add an image to a wiki page?You can add images (JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP) to a wiki page by using the IMG plugin wiki syntax. See Wiki-Syntax Images for details.
- If the image file already exists on your webserver, simply include its path and filename.
- You can upload an image file while editing the wiki page by using the Upload Picture field. Tiki will automatically add the necessary wiki syntax Image to the page.
What is a "minor" edit?When you editing a wiki page, there is an option for a minor edit (if enabled ). If selected, other users who are watching the page will not receive email notifications.
See Using Wiki Pages for more information.
What is the maximum wiki page size?The maximum wiki page size is determined by the datatype of the DESCRIPTION column of the TIKI_PAGES database table.
- Starting with Tiki 1.10, Tiki uses the MEDIUMTEXT datatype. The maximum page size is 16MB.
- In Tiki 1.9 (and earlier), Tiki uses the TEXT datatype. The maximum page size is 64K.
How do I upload multiple images at once (batch upload)?
- Enable the Batch Uploading option on the Admin: File Gallery page.
- Archive the files/images into a single .ZIP file (see ToolBox page)
- On the File Upload page, use the Batch Upload field to select your archive file.
How can I upload images larger than XXX MB?The maximum upload file size is determined by the upload_max_filesize setting in your php.ini configuration file.
Refer to the Requirements and Setup documentation for details.
How do I get the automatic thumbnails to work when I upload images?Automatic thumbnail generation uses/requires the GD or Imagick image libraries. If the libraries are installed properly on your server and Tiki is able to access the installation, there should be no additional work — Tiki will automatically generate the thumbnails.
You can regenerate your thumbails of any gallery with id XXX while browsing it (tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=XXX) through the option "rebuild thumbnails" (tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=XXX&rebuild=XXX)
How do I add an image to a wiki page?You can add images (JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP) to a wiki page by using the Image wiki syntax. See Wiki-Syntax Images for details.
Image GalleryNote: The Image Gallery was deprecated in Tiki 4. We recommend using the File Gallery instead.
Look and FeelNote: Prior to Tiki 4, the Look & Feel was called Site Identity.
How do I change the theme (skin)?Use the Admin: Look & Feel page to select a default theme (set of templates and CSS style sheet) for your Tiki. Any CSS file in your ../styles directory can be selected.
In addition to the themes included with the Tiki installation, you create your own custom themes.
For more information, see https://themes.tiki.org.
How do I change text size or colors of the theme?To make global changes, edit the theme's CSS file
To make specific changes, use the appropriate wiki syntax to change text attributes.
Users and Groups
How can I "reset" the Admin login?If you lose your admin password, you can reset it directly from the database.
Execute the following SQL statement on your database:
UPDATE `users_users` SET `password`='MYNEWPASS', `hash`= md5('adminMYNEWPASS') WHERE `login`='admin';
- MYNEWPASS is a new password.
How can I "restore" the Admin account?If you accidentally deleted the admin account, you can restore it directly from the database.
Execute the following SQL statement on your database:
INSERT INTO `users_users` SET `password`='MYNEWPASS', `hash`= md5('adminMYNEWPASS') WHERE `login`='admin';
- MYNEWPASS is a new password.
Can I change the "admin" username to something else?No.
Tiki requires the username admin for your administrator account. You can add a new user (with any name) and grant this use all admin permissions, but you can't rename or remove admin. Be sure to give the admin a strong password. It is best to only have one user (admin) with god level permissions.
See admin or Permissions for details.
What types of RSS feeds does Tiki support?Tiki can create an RSS feed for a specific Tiki feature (such as wiki, blog, and so on) that visitors can subscribe to. Tiki can syndicate a valid RSS feed from another website
How can I create an RSS feed for a Tiki feature?Use the RSS Config page to configure your Tiki's RSS feeds, including a number of items to include, name, title, and so on. Your Tiki will now include an RSS link the bottom bar (if it is enabled) allowing users to subscribe to the RSS feed.
How can I syndicate an RSS feed from another site into my Tiki?RSS feeds from other sites can be included in Tiki modules or wiki pages.
- Use the RSS Modules to create a new RSS module.
- Add the RSS module to a wiki area or module by using:
Where xx is the ID that was assigned when you created the RSS module.
I think I found a security vulnerability in Tiki. How should I report it?Thank you! To allow us time to patch the system, please:
- Report the vulnerability by using the bug tracking system.
- Use the security category.
- DO NOT detail the vulnerability (so it cannot be exploited).
- Use https://security.tiki.org and security at tikiwiki.org to contact the Tiki Security team and detail the issue.
How do I keep my Tiki safe and secure?
- Keep your Tiki up to date. Security patches are included with each update.
- Use the Enter Tiki and Lock Installer option on the final page of the Tiki Installer to remove or rename your tiki-install.php file.
- Verify your directory permissions. Remember, 7-7-7 allows complete read/write/execution rights!
What is CSRF and how can I protect my Tiki?Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) -— sometimes called "sea surfing" -— is a method of attacking a PHP-powered site.
To protect your Tiki, enable the Protect against CSRF option on the Admin: Security page.