File storageIn many features, like File Gallery, Trackers, Wiki , etc., it's possible to upload binary files (like .png, .odt, .xls, .doc, .pdf, etc). By default, Tiki stores these files in your database with the rest of the data. If you will have a lot files, or large files, you should change this setting to store files on the file system.
Storing Files in Database or File DirectoryThere's an important setting for the file galleries: the storage strategy for files. You can choose one of two options to store file gallery files:
- Store files on the database
- Store files on a directory
The differences and settings needed for each option are explained below:
Storing files on the database
If you decide to store files on the database then each file data will be stored on a database column (field) this has the following advantages and disadvantages:
- You don't need to configure anything else.
- You may have problems if you plan to store large files
- The database can grow a lot making more difficult to make backups/dumps
Storing files on a directory
If you decide to store files on a directory you must indicate the path to a directory where you will store files. The directory can be absolute or relative to the Tiki directory for example:
can be configured as directories.
Before 1.8.1, ending "/" was mandatory.
Storing files on a directory has the following advantages and disadvantages
- You must configure properly a directory to store files
- You can upload files of any size (if you have space)
You must ensure that:
- The configured directory exists and PHP (Apache) can read/write it
- For security, only Tiki can read or access the contents of that directory. Do that with one of the two following options.
You may need to ask your ISP/hosting service for an upload strategy and instructions if the ISP/hosting allows uploads (some PHP's have file uploads disabled for unknown reasons, maybe to prevent disk space consuming). Since Tiki can be configured to store files on the database or a directory if there's a way to handle uploads then Tiki can use it choose the strategy that is best for you.