This page needs review
Windows Desktop Install
Table of contents
Why install Tiki on a desktop ?Tiki is typically used on a server. However, there are cases where installing on a server is not ideal or necessary.
- Tiki can be used as a personal knowledge base
- Testing out Tiki before getting a host
- Easier to install & test locally
- A low-importance Intranet
Tiki uses a standard database so you will be able to transfer all your data to another Tiki installation later on if you wish.
Is Tiki complicated to install ?Tiki is fairly easy to install thanks to the install script. However, it is not yet a double click experience Windows users are used to. It gets complicated because Tiki relies on three major software components to run:
- A PHP (scripting language) interpreter
- A Web server (usually Apache)
- A database (usually MySQL)
These three components are needed to run Tiki. The nice folks at EasyPHP have bundled these three plus phpMyAdmin (to administer your database via a browser). Once these applications installed, a Tiki database must be created and a Tiki MySQL user must be created with appropriate privileges.
For details please see:
- Microsoft Web Platform Installer
- Windows Local Install EasyPhp
- Install Tiki on XAMPP
- Install Tiki on AMPPS
Optional extra steps
Activate some featuresClick Admin (click!) and then the first icon, Choose what you want to use. As always you can click the help icon at the top of the page to get some information on what you can do.
Create a new user and a group
- Click Users from the Admin menu to add users.
- Click Groups from the Admin menu to add groups.
- From Admin groups click assign perms to assign the right permissions to your groups.